Saturday, December 8, 2007

Secondary School Posting - 19 Dec 2007

I remember it was an exciting feeling. Going on to a new school, put on a new set of sch uniform and take on a new identity, be known as a sec sch teen instead of a pri sch kid. That was 17 years ago. =O

There are some differences now and then, the sec schs and the education system.

It was kind of dumb previously. Due to some constraints in the administrative procedures, we had to submit our sec sch application even before we received our PSLE results. Hence, we had to select sec schools after assessing our academic abilities based on our prelim results, and our school preferences. At that time, Anderson Sec, AMK Sec, St. Nics were the supposedly better schools in the AMK district. Mayflower Sec was a decent school though. Presbyterian High and Deyi Sec were small fish in a big ocean. Bowen Sec had poor reputation then (They have moved to Hougang 10 years ago), but their military band was very well-known. YCK Sec was a dumping ground at that time, so don't blame me for having such bad impressions of this sch. (I am really sorry, but I can't help it. Their students also didn't do much justice to their school and only proved me right time & again). I must admit they have made much progress in shedding their "pai kias" image.

My six choices were:
1st: Anderson Sec
2nd: Ang Mo Kio Sec
3rd: Monfort Sec
4th Mayflower Sec
5th: Holy Innocents' High
6th: St. Gabriel's Sec

My PSLE results turned out that, I didn't make the cut for my first three choices (Monfort's cut-off is now only 216! That's a drop in standard). I scored just a little more than 6.7's mean aggregate. =( I got into Mayflower Sec, where my elder brother was. It proved to be an important milestone in my life.

I was allocated class 1E3. There were 9 Express stream classes, and about 3 or 4 Normal stream classes. Our Normal stream is now known as Normal (Academic). There is no such thing as Normal (Technical). Our passing aggregate then was 180. Anything below that, u got to repeat your P6. But ministry soon realised a problem. Plenty of vacancies in sec sch as many couldn't make that mark. Hence, many years later, they announced that even those who failed would be promoted to sec sch. I was a little annoyed. Why was there a need for me to work hard then? Eventually I realised they had introduced the Normal (Technical) stream. They won't sit for their 'O' level, unlike those in the Express (in sec 4) and N(A) (in sec 5). They would be admitted to the ITE at the end of their sec 4.

For those given the choice of Express/N(A) stream and opted for the latter, u have to be prepared that the same cohort who entered the same sec sch with u, but in the Express stream, they will be graduating one year ahead of u. It can be quite upsetting, especially if u have friends in the Express stream. The N(A) stream also has smaller enrollment as compared to the Express stream. N(A) pupils also often feel that we look down on them, academically. So in order to get even (not academically) and seeked attention, they stirred up a little more troubles. ("!)

Ok, back to a bit of my history. I was in 1E3 and my brother was in 2E1 then. The teachers were perhaps kind of lazy. They actually re-used the previous year class tests for the current year. I remember I always did very well for my Geography and History tests and exams because I had prior access to the papers. All I had to do was memorised the facts and details by heart, word by word. Then I just had to regurgitate whatever that I had memorised. Even without the "privilege" of viewing the papers first, all I need to do for Geography and History were memorize, memorize and memorize. Would definitely score. But now? Not the case anymore.

It's sad but true, when u do well in something, u'll like it. Just like Mathematics, Science, CL, History and Geography to me. Hence, I can understand why some of u resist Mother Tongue and Mathematics. =(

I think heaven was really kind to me, especially with regards to tests and exams. I sailed through Sec 1 streaming with ease and made it to 2E1 with a standard position of 19. With this confidence, I worked through sec sch with relatively ease, even without that "privilege".

Selection of sec schools prior to the release of PSLE results created much headaches for parents. Those who did well, could get to re-choose. Those who didn't do well, and had selected all the good schools, get posted to somewhere out of their 6 choices. They whined and complained and soon MOE announced that selection to be done only after the release of the results.

I understand that some parents still have that, "never mind, just try," mentality. One case here, a child scored 198 in PSLE. Parents cited the above-mentioned reason and opted for Presbyterian High, with a cut-off of 235, as first choice. Excuse me, do u think the school will lower their admission criteria by 37 points? If they would to lower their cut-off to 198 and accept this child, then the school would be doing a drastic downgrading. This is not possible. They would also have to revise their cut-off from 235 to 198 in the school prospectus the following year.

If a school with cut-off of 235 can attract a pupil with 198 to apply, then a 198 cut-off would attract 188 to try their luck too. The school would only be doing a great disservice to themselves. Their standard will drop, which no principals with a sober mind would allow to happen.

I read the sch prospectus for the past 2 years. Most schools showed an upward trend in their cut-offs, about 2 points upwards. Some schools showed a drop, but not many. Hence, if u scored 246 and applied for Anderson Sec, keep your fingers crossed, as your chance is slim. Very slim.

Another case, this child scored 244. Placed A Sec (248) as his first choice ("Try luck" mentality at work), X Sec (245) as the 2nd (Better chance here), and H High (226) as the 3rd. When the result was released, he got his 3rd choice. He decided to appeal to X Sec. But the school turned him away. The reason? U have to place X Sec as your first choice in order for the sch to consider your appeal. What's the rationale for this first choice thing? I am not sure. Perhaps of pride.

Remember while I was distributing the result slips that day, I kept reminding all of u to choose your schools wisely? The above scenarios are two of my reasons.

It's too late to tell u all these now. But still, hopefully your parents will find this useful and make a sound decision for your younger siblings, if any. =)

For those who have submitted your application online, please check the school posting results online @ 11am on 19 Dec 2007, Wednesday. For those who have submitted the hardcopy application to the school office, please come to school, in school uniform, at 11am on 19 Dec 2007, to collect the posting from me.

The PSLE certificate will also be available for collection from 19 Dec 2007 @ 11am onwards. U have to be in school personally to collect your certificate, even if u have made your application online. No mailing will be done.

See (some of) u then! =)

No comments: